.

The adventures of a Second Life avatar in the 3D virtual world of Second Life. I have reopened the blog again after a 7 month hiatus and will continue as long as the interest is there! Welcome and thank you for visiting....

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pussy Footin' Around: Exploring, Discovering and Remembering Grendel's Children.


Went to visit my buddy, Fynn Star's new house.
Dicked around also with my ginger cat avatar...
Fynn is a half and half furry sometimes and human sometimes. He started out as a full time furry.
We spent an hour changing into all our various avatars we have collected.






Afterwards I went exploring, checking out old and new landmarks.
I always check old landmarks in my inventory of places I once lived if they are still around. Many many times I click a link to find the sim gone forever or a new place standing in my once favorite spots or home locations. My 2 old mainland properties I had in 2008 and 2011 are now empty and abandoned land. When I look on the map and remember where my old houses once stood I can get a feel of where everything used to be. My old Corsica land (well documented in this blog many years ago) is now ugly, naked and abandoned. It was so beautiful in it's day. I stood in the spot where my old gazebo once stood in a lush forest and remembered standing there with Tomais Ashdene as he played his violin and I played an acoustic slide guitar and and made noise but it was fun music to us lol.
One spot I found disturbing was on a mainland sim called Romeo where I first arrived in my nooby week of Second Life and discovered the original Aussie Boys Club.  I was still learning Second Life and knew absolutely nothing and could not walk properly or coordinated and got trapped in between corners of 2 buildings. I heard typing and turned around to find Dazza Slade the Aussieboys owner laughing as he explained with the patience of a saint how to walk out of the corner and set my camera right to see. LMAO. This once vibrant area, the site of many, huge, fantastic party's and so many memories was now an empty hillside of abandoned land with no one in sight.
Sometimes it does feel like Second Life is empty and becoming a ghost town.

The Builder generation peaked by 2009. They built the places for consumers to visit and hang out. Most relied on in-world income. 

Fall 2009. The Zindra exodus reduced consumer traffic all over the mainland continent. 

Spring 2010. The SL Marketplace eliminated the need for many small store owners to have commercial space in-world. This reduced the rental income of many social sims that depended on themed shopping malls for tier support.

2010 -2011. Mesh availability began to unlevel the content creation playing field. This rendered SL's in-world building tool obsolete. Prim-based content is no longer considered quality. The learning curve to create mesh items repelled many of the Builder generation, who left when their non-mesh content stopped selling. 

Many of today's active SL residents are consumers. These people are less inclined to finance and build great places.



Hours later I ended up at the infamous and ancient sim of Avaria at Grendel's Children.
The store itself which is set in the sky in a massive castle was like a time warp as it appears to have been completely unchanged in at least 10 years in Second Life. Many of the once cutting edge creature and animal avatars now seem primitive compared to today's mesh standards. The avatars ranged from spiders to mosquitoes to dragons to tigers to even lice and crabs etc. Many are free.
In a way it was very sad to see one of my very favorite places from my noob days in Second Life with so many memories of shopping and hanging there with friends now looking left behind and obsolete in a way with the completion form mesh avatars etc.
I really explored the castle though and after all these years I found so many hidden rooms and staircases that I had never seen in the past 9 years. A library, huge caverns and a massive secret room filled with gold with a massive red dragon (Smaug) guarding the jewels.
I flew down to the ground level of the sim and found massive changes. It was now a huge active volcano with no actual areas to walk, explore and play in.
When I first discovered Grendel's Children in 2007 it was 4 sims (now only 1 sim) and half filled with deep mines and caves and canyons with a vibrant community of role playing avatars of every description playing everywhere. I remember walking across a rope bridge once and on each side of the bridge wolves (avatars) charged and attacked from both ends of the bridge. They were growling and snarling and as a noob it sort of made me shit my pants lol.
As I walked there would also be dinosaurs (avatars) and dragons sitting above on rock ledges. The area would be filled with cool avatars of every bird, animal and reptile imaginable. Role play was everywhere, dragon slayer avatars dressed to the nines in armor and creatures attacking.
On a busy Saturday in Second Life there would be creatures jumping out at you at every turn. People were eagles, wolves, T-Rex, even in the water I saw snakes and a sea monster. All avatars created by the genius's that created Grendel's Children.
Thinking back to those days and how vibrant and awake and alive that Second Life was it is very sad and depressing how empty most places feel including the now almost deserted Grendel's Children.
This is one of the main reasons I have sort of disguarded my human avatar (and the failed Mesh Project) and became a furry full time. The sense of playfulness and wanton recklessness of not concerning myself with the narcissism of trying to always look sexy in the gay, Second Life community.





No comments: